1:30 pm to 5pm – 5th September 2013 – Friends’ Meeting House, 6 Mount Street, Manchester M2 5NS
This course is aimed at legal representatives acting for foreign national prisoners (FNP’s).
The course will cover:
- Is your client “liable to removal? “: a fundamental statutory definition
- Deportation, including ‘Automatic’ deportation: what it really means
- Tariff Expired Removal Scheme (TERS)
- Repatriation – Consent and No consent
- Other Foreign National Prisoner issues – the current position including ROTL, HDC and ERS and parole.
Vijay Jagadesham is a barrister at Garden Court North. His public law practice arises from his immigration and prison law work. He undertakes the full range of immigration and asylum work with particular experience in cases involving children or vulnerable adults and has acted in a number of key prison law cases.
Melanie Plimmer is a barrister with Kings Chambers (Manchester, Leeds and Birmingham). She is a judicial review specialist with many of her reported cases concerning immigration and/or prison law. She sits as a deputy judge in the Upper Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber). In addition to the APL she has trained for the Equality and Human Rights Commission and the Public Law Project.
Hamish Arnott is solicitor and a partner at Bhatt Murphy and specialises in public law and human rights with a particular focus on the civil liberties of prisoners and those detained under immigration laws. He co-authors Prisoners: Law and Practice (LAG 2010) and Foreign National Prisoners: Law and Practice (LAG 2012).
By the end of the course participants will:
- have a better understanding of the definition of “liable to removal” and its practical implications
- have a better understanding of the new immigration enforcement provisions
- be better able to advise their clients in an appropriate and timely fashion
3 CPD points (to be confirmed) just £60 for Members of APL and ILPA (Immigration Law Practitioners Association), £90 for non-members
A flyer for the event can be downloaded here:
For course information please contact our Training Co-Ordinator Helen Jones at Helen.firstname.lastname@example.org
Places are limited so early booking is advised.